Completion of The Curtis
This past December VMA celebrated completed renovations of the historical Curtis. The atrium of The Curtis was transformed through new armatures, pilasters, and acoustical renovations. The Curtis, which takes cues from the Beaux-Arts style, was described at the time of completion as the true embodiment of Philadelphian Architecture which utilized red brick and white Vermont marble. The Curtis was lauded for recognizing and deferring to its most cherished neighbor, Independence Hall. Originally founded in 1888 as the home of Curtis publications, which included the Ladies' Home Journal, the atrium features the renown Dream Garden mosaic by Parrish and Tiffany Studio. Additionally, like Philadelphia's 6th St. colonnade, equally scaled Corinthian columns line the atrium with a proportionate entablature fit with dentils and brackets. Four armatures, each befitted with a "C" at the apex, span the 57 foot atrium, calling to mind the wrought iron and glass ceilings of public passages of Italian and French cities. While the armatures sparkle with LED lights, the columns are washed with a soft light from the new sconces. The architectural components work together to combine the awe inspiring grandeur of the atrium and the human scale all the while increasing the quality of comfort in the space. Once an exterior loading dock, new life has been infused into The Curtis atrium, evoking both the history and grandness of a past era; an amenity that will appeal to employees and visitors alike.