Oxford Community Center | Oxford, Maryland
The Oxford Community Center originated in 1928 as the Oxford School on the Eastern Shore in Maryland. The work of prominent Maryland architect Henry Powell Hopkins, the building exemplifies a deft combination of classical composition with strong, simple detailing, and a modern treatment of brick single-story classroom wings centered upon a double-height monumental space gently articulated by a gracefully pedimented roof. Large lunette windows once again fill the space with light from above. The entry is defined by means of a five bay portico; the finishing touch of the rehabilitation included the installation of replacement finials now once again above each column.
LEED-Existing Building Gold Certified
Size: 9,525 sf
Budget: $2.5 million
Merit Award for Preservation, Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA, 2013