The Racquet Club of Philadelphia | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Racquet Club of Philadelphia is located in a historic Center City clubhouse designed by Horace Trumbauer and built in 1906. When originally built, the pool opened up to an elaborate Turkish bath, which was reconfigured over the years and in increasingly poor condition, including failures in the structural slab below. In order to perform the necessary repairs, all of the interior finishes had to be removed, so as to allow large sections of concrete and reinforcing steel to be replaced. After repairs, the newly reconfigured spaces were built, creating well defined shower and toilet areas with a floor that was elevated and sloped to allow for both proper drainage and full handicapped accessibility. Original materials were reused where possible, and were supplemented by new, matching marble wall panels, mosaic marble floor tiles, white subway ceramic tiles, pressed aluminum ceiling, cage lights, and salvaged shower system to recreate the historic feel of the original shower room.
Size: 1,400 sf
Budget: $1 million