Oxford Community Center | Oxford, Maryland
The Oxford Community Center originated in 1928 as the Oxford School on the Eastern Shore in Maryland. It was built to meet the high school educational needs of a community that had been growing over the past half century. The work of prominent Maryland architect Henry Powell Hopkins, the building exemplifies a deft combination of classical composition with strong, simple detailing and a somewhat modern treatment of brick single story classroom wings surrounding a monumental central space articulated by a gracefully pedimented roof. The entry is softened by means of a five bay portico; the finishing touch of the rehabilitation included the installation of replacement finials once again placed above each column.
LEED-Existing Building Gold Certified
Size: 9,525 sf
Budget: $2.5 million
Merit Award for Preservation, Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA, 2013