Rittenhouse Plaza | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
An extraordinary “Classic Six” 120 unit apartment building designed in 1925 by McLanahan & Bencker, the complex was due for restoration. The central lobby resumed its historic role as the welcoming front door on Rittenhouse Square, with the concierge station returned to its original location. Also relocated to this area was the residents’ mail room and package storage to meet the daily needs of the residents in one central location. Extensive analysis revealed the long forgotten original paint scheme of the lobby, which was restored along with the forty residential elevator halls. As a result of these programmatic moves and period-sensitive rehabilitation efforts, the building is now safer, functional, while having successfully recaptured its original splendor.
Size: 20,000 sf
Budget: $4.6 million
Preservation Achievement Grand Jury Award, Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia, 2014
Merit Award for Preservation, Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA, 2014