Swift Hall, Vassar College | Poughkeepsie, New York
Built in 1900 and designed by York & Sawyer, Swift Hall originally served as the infirmary for the women’s college. Converted for use by the History Department in 1941, the building became offices and classrooms which did not make efficient use of the space. The interior was reconfigured to provide additional offices to accommodate the faculty, circulation simplified, and a new emergency exit from the third floor created. All upgrades were done with an eye on retaining the historic character of the building, while creating an fresh environment fully capable of meeting the needs of a modern academic institution. Damaged plaster was repaired and reconstructed, new baseboards and doors replicated the original, and the original wood windows were upgraded for improved energy efficiency.
Size: 10,500 sf
Budget: $3 million