Cheyney University | Cheyney, Pennsylvania
Constructed in 1909, Carnegie Hall stands amongst the oldest buildings on the 275-acre campus. It had fallen into disrepair after years of neglect and was restored as part of a larger project, to serve as a primary event space for the University.
The building is primarily one spacious room with high ceilings and trusses. The wood floors, paneling, trim and fireplace mantles were repaired to their original state. Warm tones of paint in rich colors were intentionally chosen for their historic properties to complement the millwork. Storage space and a pleasant connection to the classrooms and non-traditional learning spaces in the adjoining 1960’s addition were also part of the project. All systems were upgraded.
The restoration of the exterior envelope involved evaluating the original stone masonry, cataloging damaged stones, and repairing the decaying materials through a painstaking process of deep-tuck pointing to replace damaged stones deep within the facade. A subtle new flagstone ramp improved accessibility while also creating seating areas for students to congregate outside. Corresponding landscape work was performed to integrate the building with the quadrangle.
Size: 22,000 sf
Budget: $3.8 million
Architecture, Interior Design, Historical Preservation