Temple University | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
College Hall, designed by Thomas Lonsdale in 1892 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was Temple University’s second campus building and once served as the university’s main classroom facility. After suffering a major fire and standing vacant for nearly twenty years, Temple chose to restore and rehabilitate College Hall as a new home for the James E. Beasley School of Law.
The scope included the exterior restoration of the building and creation of a new accessible entrance. VMA designed a sensitive new entry addition transformed what was originally the back of the building into a main entrance that opens up onto a prominent campus square and connected to a new elevator inserted into the original building. Following the guidelines of the Secretary of the Interior and the scrutiny of the Philadelphia Historic Commission, improvements included new gutters and flashing, the restoration of all masonry, and reglazing the historic wood windows to improve their energy efficiency. After analysis unexpectedly revealed that the existing pine roof trusses had deteriorated, a new steel structure was installed in its place with slate roofing to replicate the original appearance of the building.
Preservation Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Awards, 2003
Size: 40,000 sf
Budget: $1.6 million
Architecture, Historical Preservation