Huntingdon Valley Country Club Expansion
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
The clubhouse for Huntingdon Valley Country Club is a stately, elegant historic building designed in 1928 by the Philadelphia firm of Tilden, Register, and Pepper. However, despite renovation and additions over the preceding decades, some of the club’s key dining and social spaces were still unwelcoming and underutilized. VMA designed strategic renovations combined with two small additions which improved both the appearance and the use of the clubhouse. One addition expanded the main dining room, providing glass doors opening directly to a new terrace to allow seamless indoor and outdoor dining. A second addition replaced the worn, out-of-character “19th Hole” with a more traditional space that provides a sloped, wood ceiling and expansive views of the valley. With both additions widening the social capabilities of the club, this feeling of openness was further emphasized with VMA’s extensive use of large windows, rendering the clubhouse brighter, airier, and more transparent. Renovations also included refinishing the women’s locker room and providing their own locker-room lounge to accommodate the growing interest among the club’s female members.
Associated Builders and Contractors Southeast Pennsylvania Chapter, Excellence in Construction Award, 2005
Size: 14,805 sf
Budget: $2.3 million
Architecture, Interior Design