Bryn Mawr College | Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
A designated National Historic Landmark designed by Cope & Stewardson, and a beloved fixture of community gatherings for generations, the Old Library (formerly known as Thomas Great Hall) has been one of the most important public spaces at Bryn Mawr College since it first opened in 1902. Our scope comprised a major restoration and rehabilitation to repair years of benign neglect of the masonry, leaded-glass, roof, and interior woodwork, which provided the opportunity to introduce new HVAC, electrical, lighting and sound systems, and a large-scale storage closet. Accented by custom-designed light fixtures and furnishings, the space is used today for conferences, lectures and concerts, as well as a formal lounge and study area.
Pennsylvania Society of Architects, Honor Award, 1993
Preservation Pennsylvania, Institutional Stewardship Merit Award, 1993
Size: 5,500 sf
Architecture, Interior Design, Historical Preservation