Town of Oxford, Maryland, Community Center
The Oxford Community Center, designed by Henry Powell Hopkins, was built in 1928 as the Oxford School on the Eastern Shore in Maryland. It exemplifies a deft combination of classical composition with strong, simple detailing. VMA was commissioned to rehabilitate the building to improve its function as the primary gathering space for large and small community events. The entry porch was restored and made accessible through added ramps. Structural repairs were sensitively performed and a new roof installed. The existing single-pane windows were replaced with energy-efficient, operable aluminum windows in the style of the original steel. Inside, removing a dropped ceiling from the 1960’s exposed the original grace of the atrium; large lunette windows once again fill the space with light from above. Several smaller meeting rooms flanking the atrium were also renovated providing flexibility to host multiple groups simultaneously, and a kitchen allows for large catered events.
LEED EB Gold Certified
AIA Philadelphia Chapter, Merit Award - Preservation, 2013
Size: 9,525 sf
Budget: $2.5 million
Architecture, Interior Design, Historical Preservation, Landscape, Sustainability