Princeton Theological Seminary | Princeton, NJ
Brown Hall was built in 1864 as the second dormitory on the campus of Princeton Theological Seminary, but its existing configuration was not aligned with contemporary residential life.
To meet the goals of the Seminary and the expectations of their graduate-level students, VMA converted the traditional dormitory-style bedrooms with shared group bathrooms into individual bedrooms with en suite bathrooms. Tables in the common areas were created out of the salvaged wood. A new elevator and updated MEP/FP systems were installed, further modernizing the building. Removable roof dormers provide access to the new systems with minimal effect to the building’s architectural character.
New ramps improve accessibility of the original main entrance on the south facade. The existing historic doors were replaced with replicas that have accessibility hardware built in directly. On the north facade, a new portico and accessible entrance connect the building to the heart of campus and set the stage for the creation of a central quad.
Size: 46,500 sf
Architecture, Interior Design, Historical Preservation, Landscape